Translate

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pear, Pecorino, and Taleggio Pizza

First of all, I must make a disclaimer.  The pizza I made did not have taleggio, a cheese I had never heard of before much less tasted.  I was looking forward to experiencing this new taste treat, but was unable to find it here in Valdosta.  After doing some research on the internet, I decided that fontina would be a suitable substitute.  The pizza I made also did not have pecorino romano.  I have tried pecorino before and didn't really care for it; I thought it had an aftertaste that was somewhat disagreeable.  Parmesan is more to my liking and is quite a bit cheaper. 
This seemed to me to be the most gourmet of the pizzas I have made; almost as though it should be served on china with fine wine!   I built this pizza starting with a basic pizza dough.  I prebaked it at 425 degrees for 6 minutes.  Once the crust was out of the oven, I brushed it with olive oil and scattered on small cubes of fontina.  Over this I arranged thin slices of bosc pear and fresh sage leaves.  I shredded on some parmesan and then drizzled on a small amount of honey.  After seasoning with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper, I drizzled on additional olive oil before putting it into the oven.  I allowed it to bake for about 12 minutes and it came out looking beautiful!  I had cut down on my usual baking time because the oven was at 425 rather than 400.  I think perhaps the hotter oven made for an even crispier, tastier crust.  When I decided to make this pizza I was a bit concerned  that it would be a "dessert pizza" and wouldn't work for a meal.  I didn't worry too long though; I have an incredible sweet tooth and having dessert for dinner didn't seem too much of a problem!  The pizza was not too sweet though, and did make an excellent meal.  The combination of the cheese, sage, and honey was a unique taste that I had never experienced before, and I really enjoyed it.  We delighted in watching Anne of Green Gables while savoring this sumptuous pizza.  It brought back twenty-year old memories of enjoying this production with our daughter and her "bosom friend."  After watching the series, the girls had numerous tea parties with our daughter playing the part of Diana and her friend as Anne.  Kevin Sullivan did an excellent job on this series and Megan Follows will forever be Anne in our family's mind.  The aesthetic beauty of this film makes me yearn to see Prince Edward Island in person!  I encourage you to put this heartwarming tale on your Netflix queue; it's one your whole family will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment