Translate

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Calzone alla Parmigiana

This was my first time ever making calzone (pronounced "cal-zone-ay"; I had to look it up!)  In all honesty, I must admit I don't recall ever having eaten a calzone before. . .huge mistake!!  Preparation of calzone is a bit more involved than pizza, but it wasn't difficult and was well worth the effort. 
I started by using the breadmaker to make the same basic pizza dough that I usually use.  While the dough was rising, I diced an eggplant and peeled 6 cloves of garlic.  I put them in a roasting pan and tossed them with about 1/4 cup of olive oil and then put them in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
  When I pulled them out of the oven, I put my pizza stones into the oven so they could heat for 20-30 minutes before I used them.  The  eggplant/garlic cooled for 15-20 minutes and then I added cubes of mozzarella, diced fresh tomato, fresh basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. 

Roasted Eggplant with Garlic

Tomatoes, Basil and Mozzarella are added


   When the dough was ready to use, it was divided into 4 balls and each ball was placed onto a sheet of parchment paper before being rolled into an 8-inch circle.    I scooped some of the eggplant mixture onto one half of each circle and pulled the other half over the top of the filling before sealing the edges much as I would a pie crust.  

 Each calzone was then brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with shredded Parmesan.  Using the parchment paper as a support, I was able to put them onto the hot pizza stones.  The recipe said to bake them for 30 minutes and to rotate the calzone half way through the baking time.  I rotated them after 15 minutes, but they only needed to bake an additional 5 minutes after the rotation.  They would have burned had I left them in for the full 30 minutes.  This meal not only made a lot of food, it was full of healthy fresh vegetables as well as being relatively low-fat with only the olive oil and cheese adding to the fat content.  Most of all it was so delicious that even the pickiest eaters didn't realize they were eating healthy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment