Translate

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Chicken Taco Pizza

Years ago our church published a cookbook with recipes submitted by different members of the church.  In my experience, those are the most valuable cookbooks because the recipes are family favorites that taste good without using exotic ingredients and complicated techniques. Does anyone still use the Oscoda Baptist Cookbook? If you do, I'd love to know which are your favorite recipes!  One of ours was a grilled taco chicken that was submitted by my friend, Marion Tripp.  
Mike and I got to thinking about that chicken and, of course,began to wonder if perhaps it might be delicious on a pizza. 
 To be honest, the page with the chicken recipe seems to have disappeared with the frequent use of the book.  Consequently I had to rely on my memory, which is a bit risky at this stage of life!   I marinated the chicken overnight in 1 packet of taco seasoning mixed with 1/4 cup olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon and enough apple cider vinegar to make 3/4 cup of liquid.  We then grilled the chicken and shredded it.  I pre-baked the crust at 425 for 7 minutes, which is a bit hotter than what I have been using but I wanted to see if the crust would crisp up better than usual. 
We topped the crust with Colby Jack cheese, the chicken, some diced tomato that had been seeded, canned chopped green chilies (not the whole can), and then sparingly drizzled on some pizza oil to give it a bit more heat.  I baked it for 12 more minutes and then sprinkled chopped cilantro over it before we ate it. 

I liked it, but I was a bit (just a bit) disappointed because I couldn't really taste much of the taco seasoning in the chicken.  While we munched we watched "XIII", a series that is attempting to play off of the popularity of the Bourne movies.  It centers around a man with amnesia trying to discover who he is in the midst of being suspected of assassinating the first female president of the United States.  It was okay, but definitely not up to par with the Bourne movies.  Lets just say we won't be setting our DVR to record the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment