Translate

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Crispy Olive Pizza

This pizza could more legitamately be called a flatbread. It had the added bonus of an olive relish to serve with it and both were absolutely delicious.  For the relish I used sundried tomatoes.  If you use the ones packed in oil, heat a bit of the oil in a saucepan and then add some chopped onion and garlic, cooking until tender.  I couldn't find the sundried tomatoes in oil, so I used olive oil.  The next time I prepare this, I will  try Vidalia onions.  I used red onions, but they were pretty strong even after they had been cooked.  I also added about a teaspoon of sugar to the relish because it seemed to need a touch of sweetness.  The Vidalia onion would be mild while at the same time adding the sweetness that was lacking. 
Once the onions and garlic had softened, I added diced sundried tomatoes, a can of chopped black olives, and a bay leaf and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.  After removing the bay leaf, I put the mixture into the blender and processed it with some fresh basil leaves.  I added the juice of one lemon and a bit more olive oil along with some salt and pepper; continuing to process the mixture until it looked like a relish.  I set the relish aside in the refrigerator to cool and marinate until the pizza was complete. 
For the pizza I used my basic dough that I had prepared in the breadmaker.  While the dough was rising, I heated the pizza stone in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes.   The crust on this pizza should be very thin, so when the dough was ready I divided it in half and made two pizzas.  I rolled out each as thin as I could onto parchment paper, then sprinkled on some chopped green olives and fresh basil.  After seasoning with some sea salt, I gently pressed the olives and basil into the crust. Using the parchment paper for support, the pizzas and parchment paper were then carefully placed onto the hot pizza stone.  I allowed it to bake for about 10 minutes and it was worth every bit of the effort.  Olives are not one of Mike's favorites, and I was shocked to see that he was enjoying this pizza as much as I was!  The relish was an added bonus unlike anything I've ever tasted and it complemented the pizza perfectly. 
While enjoying this unique treat, we watched one of my favorite movies of all time, the 1938 classic, You Can't Take it With You, with Lionel Barrymore and Jimmy Stewart. It is a hilarious tale that stresses the important life principle of knowing what is truly valuable.  There are scenes that are extremely silly and make me laugh out loud while at the same time making me evaluate whether my priorities need some adjustment.  This is just a plain fun movie that your family is sure to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment