Translate

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ricotta and Prosciutto Focaccia

This is another recipe that turned out to be very much like a quiche.  I think it had trouble deciding if it wanted to be Italian or French! Then I really confused it  by adding cilantro and giving it a Southwestern United States flare.  Boy, no wonder this dish has an identity crisis!  My sweet hubby was starting the focaccia dough, and I had mentioned to him that it used quite a bit more oil than our normal pizza dough.  He had that on his mind when he was putting the ingredients into the breadmaker and accidentally added a full cup of oil! 
When he realized his mistake he decided to dump the mess that was in the breadmaker and start over.  After his do-over he noticed that the breadmaker didn't sound quite right right though, and discovered the kneading blade was missing.  He found it in the trash with the original attempt!  I must say how much I appreciate his help and support as we continue our pizza journey.  We both enjoy our Friday night pizza hobby, and I couldn't do it without him. 
In spite of the glitches, the dough was just about done when I got home from work that evening.  I quickly mixed up a filling of eggs, ricotta, cilantro (the recipe called for parsley or arugula) in the blender.  Some parmesan cheese was stirred in;  I then intended to season the filling with salt and pepper, but I must confess I forgot.  I'm beginning to think it's a miracle we're ever able to create a pizza around here!  The next part of this focaccia is very much like making a Thanksgiving pie.  I took two thirds of the dough and rolled it out until it was about 13 inches in diameter.  I then carefully laid it into a springform pan. 
The crust was then filled with alternating layers of prosciutto and the egg filling.  The remaining third of the dough was rolled out and carefully placed on top of the filling.  Unfortunately it didn't go quite as well as I had hoped and some of the filling seeped through the edges, which I had attempted to seal.  I brushed on some olive oil and baked it for about half an hour in a 425 degree oven.  The recipe call to bake for 20-25 minutes, but the egg filling still looked pretty runny, so I baked it an additional 8-10 minutes. 
We watched P.S. I Love You, a tear jerker tale of a young widow whose husband helped her deal with her grief by leaving letters for her that he had written before he died.  The movie stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler and is very well done.  I especially liked the Irish influence on the film owing to the husband's Irish heritage and the widow's visit to Ireland to revisit the couple's courtship.  Some of the scenes are a bit steamy and the language is a bit coarse so I have to put a parental advisory on this movie, but it is a great date night movie for a married couple. The idea that the death of a loved one is a very real possibility tends to encourage us all to appreciate the moments we have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment