Translate

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Egg and Spinach Pizza Pies

I had been noticing the picture of these pizzas in my cook book for quite a while.  They just looked too cute and I have been anxious to try them!  Mine didn't turn out looking as pretty as the ones in the book, but I was pleased with the outcome.  I imagined these little pizzas might end up being similar to a quiche, and I was right.  They actually would be excellent for a fancy brunch. 
While my breadmaker was working on the basic pizza dough, I made the filling for the pizzas.  I started by sauteing a chopped onion in some olive oil and allowing it to cool.  The recipe called for using fresh spinach, but it needed to be chopped and wilted anyway so I decided to use a package of frozen chopped spinach instead. 
The next ingredient the recipe called for was arugula, which I always have trouble finding.  Does anyone else have that problem?  I was able to find a prepackaged arugula and spinach salad which I thought just might fit the bill.  A little over 2 cups of the salad was chopped and combined with the thawed (and drained) spinach, the onion, some ricotta cheese, and some parmesan cheese.  This mixture was then seasoned with tarragon, nutmeg, salt
and pepper. 
When the dough was ready, I rolled it out and cut 8 circles that were approximately 6 inches in diameter. Each circle was placed in a section of a muffin top pan that I had sprayed with olive oil spray and the spinach filling was then generously spooned onto the dough.  Using a spoon, an indentation or "well" was created in the filling of each little pizza into which I carefully slipped an egg yolk.  I once saw a book title which said,All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten, and now came the time to put that into practice!  I took the scrap dough and made little snakes like I did when I was 5.  Pieces of my snakes were cut off and placed across the little pizzas to form a cross.  I then place the muffin top tins on pizzas stones that had been heating at 425 degrees for half an hour.  I baked them for about 15 minutes and then enjoyed!  If I do these pizzas again, I believe I will add some garlic to the filling and work a bit harder to make mine as pretty as the ones in the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment