Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Potato and Mozzarella Calzone

I am running out of pizza recipes in Maxine Clark's book, so we are moving on to calzones.  This was a very interesting recipe; I would never have thought of putting potatoes in a calzone.  I started by making my basic pizza dough in the breadmaker.  While it was rising, I heated the pizza stone at 425 for about 30 minutes.  I also sliced a Yukon Gold potato very thin with my mandolin.  I don't know what it is about Yukon Golds, but we think they are absolutely delicious.  It may be partially psychological; the yellow color of the potato makes my mind think " Yummm, buttery and rich!" 

The potato slices were then tossed with some olive oil, garlic, and fresh rosemary.  When the dough was ready it was rolled out on to parchment paper that had been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Rolling it into a 10-inch circle, one half of the circle was spread with the potato mixture before folding the other half over the filling. The edges were then sealed very carefully to prevent the filling from escaping during the baking.  I brushed a small amount of pizza oil over the calzone and then sprinkled on some shredded parmesan .  
The piece de resistance was now ready for the oven where it was baked for 10 minutes before carefully pulling out the parchment paper.  The recipe called for baking an additional 25-30 minutes, but the crust started getting too dark after 13 minutes so I took it out of the oven.  I thought the filling was very good, but in order for the potatoes to be cooked enough the crust would have  burned.  An idea for the filling might be to use it as a side dish baked on its own without the crust.  If I wanted to make this calzone again I would precook the filling a bit before putting it on the dough.  While we were eating we watched Water for Elephants with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson.  It was a very well done movie, but a little weird for my tastes. I found the violence to animals portrayed in the film very disturbing.  I was also bothered that the main character has an affair with someone else's wife and it is portrayed as something heroic and good.  Unfortunately I really can't recommend it; especially for families with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment