Translate

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Tuscan Chicken on Foccacia

I friend of mine posted a recipe for Slow-Cooked Tuscan Sandwiches on her Facebook page. It looked absolutely delicious, and I thought it would be even better made on freshly baked foccacia bread.  I made the chicken in the slow cooker following the recipe.  It was basically chicken thighs, garlic, and sliced roasted red bell peppers (from a jar) that I had going in the crock pot all day. 
 I used the breadmaker recipe for foccacia dough which used quite a bit more olive oil than the recipe for pizza dough.  After the first rising in the bread maker, I put the dough in two 8-inch cake pans, dimpled it with my fingers and allowed it to rise for 30 minutes. 
I sprinkled on additional Italian seasoning and dimpled it again before baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes on pizza stones that had been heating for 30 minutes. I sliced one of the loaves in half horizontally and spread the bottom half with a mixture of olive oil mayo and basil pesto.   I topped it with the shredded chicken and then sliced tomatoes. 
We both thought the bread was so delectable, we would have been perfectly happy without the chicken!  I also decided that half the chicken would have been plenty; next time I'm going to freeze half and freeze one of the loaves of foccacia and I'll be set for another meal! 
We watched Letters to Juliet, a very sweet and romantic movie starring Amanda Seyfried and Gael Garcia Bernal.  It is the story of a young American woman on a trip to Italy with her fiance when she happens upon the courtyard of Juliet Capulet (of Romeo and Juliet fame) where heartbroken women stuff  letters filled with their sorrows into the courtyard wall.  I always love films with scenery of Italy, and especially so when I am enjoying luscious foccacia. 
There is a story within the story that is also very touching, but which I won't tell you because it would spoil the fun for you when you watch it yourself.  Definitely a chick flick that will leave you feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment