Translate

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mediterranean Pizza

This is one of my FAVORITE pizzas, one I have made many times.  We prepared two pizzas that evening, one Mediterranean and one plain cheese for the younger, pickier set.  This was the first time I had made two pizzas at once, and I wasn't completely happy with the way it turned out.  It took much longer to bake with two pizzas in the oven, and it seemed the edges of the pizza were about to burn while the bottom of the crust never really crisped up the way I like.  I did switch the positions of the pizzas half way through the baking time which helped them bake at the same rate; I think next time I will bump the oven temperature up to 425 degrees and see if that gives better results.  If anyone has any other ideas, I sure am open to suggestions!
One plain cheese, and one Mediterranean pizza
Over the prebaked crust I spread some pesto I had made with the fresh basil I have growing on my back porch.  Pesto freezes well and is a great way to use up any extra basil that may need to be harvested, and this recipe is very quick and easy.  In a food processor or blender I put the fresh basil, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/4 cup of pine nuts.  After they are chopped well I add 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.  The pesto is now ready to be frozen.  Once thawed (or if you want to use it right away) stir in some shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese and a bit more olive oil to make it the desired consistency.  Over the pesto on the pizza I arranged some thinly sliced tomatoes, halved Kalamata olives, and some roughly chopped artichokes.  I topped the whole thing with some crumbled feta cheese and it was ready to go back into the oven.  I think I enjoy this pizza so much because its flavors are unique compared to a traditional pizza,  It has a Greek feel rather than the typical Italian, which is an appealing and most pleasant surprise!

1 comment:

  1. sure wish my kiddos would eat pizza like that! looks soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete