Translate

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pizza With Artichokes and Mozzarella

I get the impression that artichokes are one of those things that people either love or hate; it would be interesting to hear YOUR response to that supposition!  In any case, Mike and I are artichoke lovers and they are one of our favorite things to have on a pizza.  I normally buy the canned artichokes packed in water, but for this pizza I splurged on artichokes that had been marinated in oil.  I cut the artichokes in quarters and tossed them with 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic and about 2 tablespoons of the oil from the jar of artichokes. The recipe called for using olive oil, but I saw no reason not to use the oil they had been packed in!

Marinating the artichokes with garlic

While they marinated for about half an hour, I shredded a good deal of mozzarella onto a partially baked pizza crust.  I had prepared the crust by spraying the pizza stone with olive oil Pam and then sprinkling 2-3 tablespoons of cornmeal onto the stone.  Onto this I rolled out the dough and then baked it at 400 degrees F. for 7-8 minutes. 
Over the mozzarella I arranged the artichokes and halved kalamata olives.  I was going to add some of the fresh basil I have growing on the back porch, but I forgot.   I did remember, though, to sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of roughly cut flatleaf parsley over it all.  After drizzling on some pizza oil, our masterpiece went back into the oven for 14 minutes.  Mike and I had a difference of opinion concerning the pizza oil.  I thought regular olive oil would have been better, but he liked the spiciness of the pizza oil.  Our movie of choice that evening was The Unsinkable Molly Brown.  I was really looking forward to it because I have good memories of watching it with my mom when I was a little girl.  I did enjoy it, and Debbie Reynolds was called America's sweetheart with good reason, but I'm afraid it wasn't quite as good as I remembered from my childhood.
Ready for the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment