Translate

Monday, April 30, 2012

Pizza Bianca

Pizza Bianca
In Naples any pizza without tomatoes is "Pizza Bianca" or white pizza.  The focus of this pizza is the mozzarella, so it's worthwhile to get the best quality cheese you can.  This is a very simple pizza. . .just the mozzarella and some herbs.  The recipe called for fresh sage, but a few weeks ago I started growing some basil in a hanging pot on the back porch and thought it needed to be put to good use.  I have some tomatoes and peppers growing too. . .my mouth is watering when I think that in just a few weeks I'll be able to use my own fresh produce on a pizza or in a salad! 
This pizza began with arranging shredded mozzarella over a prebaked crust.  I seasoned it with Classic Italian Herb Pizza Seasoning (from Crate & Barrel) and then scattered some basil leaves over the cheese and seasoning.  The final step was to drizzle on some pizza oil and put it in the oven to bake.  I'm glad I used the pizza oil (also from Crate & Barrel) because it has some heat to it, and without it this pizza would have been very bland.  Maybe because I went with the cheaper cheese!  This would probably be a very kid-friendly recipe.  One that would be easy for them to help you make with none of the strong flavors kids sometimes dislike.  If you like subtle flavors and seasonings you will most likely enjoy this pizza, but even with the pizza oil it proved to be a little too bland to be one of my favorites.  Even so, I'm glad I tried it and thoroughly enjoy the time Mike and I have working on our pizza projects together!

No comments:

Post a Comment